12 February 2012 ~ 38 Comments

A “Loving” Valentine…

Image Courtesy of the Daily Mail UK

Richard and Mildred Loving never set out to make history.  But the love they had for one another changed our nation’s history when the two became the focus of one of the most famous and important civil rights cases in the last 50 years.

On Valentine’s Day 2012, HBO will show “The Loving Story”, a documentary depicting the love story of Richard and Mildred, and their triumphant legal victory against anti-equality laws that made interracial marriage illegal at the time.

You can see the trailer here:  The Loving Story.

“This is a love story,” said director Nancy Buirski. “And it’s a story about people who were told they couldn’t love who they wanted to love.”

In 1967, The United States Supreme Court struck down our country’s remaining anti-miscegenation laws, ruling them unconstitutional in response to the lawsuit brought by the Loving’s after they were arrested and charged with violating Virginia state statutes that outlawed interracial marriage.  The Supreme Court wrote in its decision that “Marriage is one of the basic civil rights of man, fundamental to our very existence and survival.”

Following the Supreme Court ruling, Richard and Mildred lived freely and happily, together with their children, until Richard’s untimely death in 1975 from a car accident.  Before her death in 2008, Mildred said the following:  “Not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the “wrong kind of person” for me to marry.  I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry.”

It just so happens that in June of 2011, my wife and I stood in front of the same Supreme Court of these United States that ruled in support of the Lovings, and we exchanged our own wedding vows.  My hope and wish for us all is that someday, Mildred’s belief that equal marriage rights should be granted to ALL citizens in our country will be brought to fruition.  And I hope that you join my wife and I on Valentine’s evening in watching a truly remarkable and historical love story…a story that changed our country forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When considering and planning a special Valentine’s treat for my wife and I to share with each other and our family, and with all of you, I decided that I wanted to make a little something sweet and “Loving” in tribute to the journey that Richard and Mildred travelled that paved the way to change for our country.

I was looking for a “black and white” (in color) dessert.  It just so happens that UncleR’s favorite cake (or is it a pie?) is Boston Cream Pie.  While researching a yummy Boston Cream Pie recipe, I stumbled across these Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes from Joelen at What’s Cookin, Chicago.  I knew they were perfect!  Personal-sized Boston Cream “Pies”!  And for someone like me, who counts chocolate as one of her least-favorite dessert items, it seemed like a great fit!

These cupcakes were a bit time consuming, but not difficult at all to reproduce.  Let me tell you right now, that I would do this again and again and again to get the same result.  The cake is light and substantial all at the same time, with a mild sweetness that is important in contrast to the rich pastry cream and chocolate glaze.  And the pastry cream is good enough that when I had some leftover, I threatened everybody in the house within an inch of their lives if they even so much as took a step towards it with a spoon.

I hope you enjoy a “Loving” Valentine’s Day this week.  Whether you’re partnered, married, single, or something in between, everyone deserves a “Loving” Valentine’s Day.  I hope these cupcakes are delicious and will be a sweet addition to your holiday or just any ol’ day in general.

Cheers to you, Richard and Mildred!

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

Printable Recipe

Ingredients for Pastry Cream:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of table salt
4 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cold and cut into 2 pieces
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Bring the cream to a light simmer in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.

In a heat-proof medium-size bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar and salt together with a whisk.  Add in cornstarch and whisk until egg mixture is light yellow in color.

Once cream has been brought to a simmer, slowly (a bit at a time) whisk it into the egg mixture, mixing constantly so eggs do not scramble.

Pour egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens (like pudding) and turns glossy in appearance.  Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.

Put egg mixture in a bowl, covering it with a piece of plastic-wrap (taking care to put the wrap flush with the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming), and allow to chill for at least 2 hours.

Ingredients for Cupcakes:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened but still cool, cut into 12 pieces
3 large eggs
3/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with baking cups.  (approximately 15 cupcakes)

Using a stand mixer (you can use a hand-mixer, but I’d recommend using a stand) on low, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until just combined.  One tablespoon at a time, add in butter until mix is combined and it resembles course sand in appearance.

Add eggs one at a time and combine.  Add in milk and vanilla and beat on medium spead until mixture is light and fluffy in appearance and lump-free.

Fill lined muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes for a few minutes in the pan before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.

Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
8 oz. bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Cook the cream, corn syrup, chocolate chips and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture is smooth and well-combined.

Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes, until glaze has thickened.

To Assemble Cupcakes:

Insert a knife at a 45 degree angle, approximately 1/4 inch from the edge of the cupcake, and cut all the way around the cake until you’ve removed a small cone of cake.

Cut away all but 1/4 inch of the cone, leaving a small top for the cupcake.

Using a pastry bag or small spoon, fill each cupcake with pastry cream and cover with the top piece of cupcake.

Carefully top each cupcake with glaze and either refrigerate or cool until glaze is set.

You really should share these with your loved ones…

Or not…

Either way, I hope your Valentine’s Day this year is a ”Loving” one.

And don’t forget to watch The Loving Story on HBO on Tuesday night!  Happy Valentine’s Day y’all.

38 Responses

1. Carmen 12 February 2012 11:44 am Permalink

Oh these cupcakes look so delicious and pretty! I m drooling over here! Great post! I will def check out the Loving Story on HBO on Tuesday. Thank you so much for sharing!

2. Janet@FCTC 12 February 2012 12:34 pm Permalink

I had heard of this couple before. I wish I had HBO so I could watch this :-/

Until it comes out on Netflix, I can make these wonderful looking cupcakes at least lol

• Jen 12 February 2012 2:35 pm Permalink

Yea, it’s unfortunate that not everyone will get to see the documentary. But, it’s fortunate that everyone can console themselves with a lovely cupcake! :D

3. Kristina 12 February 2012 1:03 pm Permalink

Lovely story! I’ll look for it when it comes on HBO, these cupcakes are a gorgeous idea to go with their story! And Boston cream pie happens to be one of my favorites… :) In cupcake form is even better! Great recipe!

4. Tina@flourtrader 12 February 2012 1:20 pm Permalink

That movie does sound like it would be worth watching, sadly though I do not have HBO. I am sure it will eventually make the rounds so I will get to see it-just not when first shown on HBO.
    Boston cream pie is a tasty treat and I really like that these are in cupcake form. Individual desserts are best in this house for our family is so small. Happy Valentines day to you!

• Jen 12 February 2012 2:36 pm Permalink

It’s the same for us. Since we’re a small family, things can often go to waste. Cupcakes make it easier to handle!

5. Eliot 12 February 2012 2:16 pm Permalink

Thanks for making us aware of the HBO special. Even though 1967 was MANY years ago, it seems so recent to me that issues like this still prevailed.

Wonderful cupcakes and great post!

6. noelle@singerinkitchen 12 February 2012 2:49 pm Permalink

Wow, what a beautiful story. I will have to wait for it on Netflix too. These cupcakes look a mazing. Yummmy! Thanks for sharing them on our round up!

7. Renee 12 February 2012 4:58 pm Permalink

What a wonderful story and delicious looking cupcakes! Thank you so much for sharing.

• Jen 12 February 2012 8:04 pm Permalink

Thank you so much Renee!

8. kale @ tastes good to me! 12 February 2012 5:35 pm Permalink

I watched the trailer/interview on youtube, thanks for adding the link! What an important story to tell. And as for the recipe, well as always I am in awe of you – these look fantastic! Boston Cream donuts were my favorite growing up and this reminds me of them. :)

• Jen 12 February 2012 8:04 pm Permalink

Oh my, my wife would love those donuts!

And thank you so much for the kind words!

9. Danny 12 February 2012 11:39 pm Permalink

Thank you for sharing such a great story and a delicious looking recipe as well! I hope you two have a wonderful Valentine’s celebration!

• Jen 13 February 2012 5:22 pm Permalink

Well, thanks Danny! Hope yours is wonderful as well. I’ve been loving your Valentine’s ideas on your blog!

10. Jennie 13 February 2012 7:29 am Permalink

You really know a way to a girl’s heart. These look amazing. I want one.

• Jen 13 February 2012 5:22 pm Permalink

There’s 4 left. Are you close to Texas? ;)

11. Suzi 13 February 2012 11:17 am Permalink

What a loving story and what beautiful cupcakes. I could definitely go for one now. Yummy, Happy Valnetine’s Day to you.

• Jen 13 February 2012 5:23 pm Permalink

Happy Valentine’s Day, Suzi!

12. Lyn @LovelyPantry 13 February 2012 1:50 pm Permalink

That sounds like a wonderful movie. I’d love to watch it. I checked and but it doesn’t seem like it will be showing here in Canada. I’ll check again though. These cupcakes are so awesome. I’m sharing!

• Jen 13 February 2012 5:24 pm Permalink

Thanks Lyn.

Also, you’ll be happy to know that I’m on the banana bread thing. Bananas are on my shopping list for tomorrow! :D

13. Kiri W. 13 February 2012 4:28 pm Permalink

Mmmmm, these look amazing! Love the way you packed this into a cupcake form :)

14. Pennie 13 February 2012 7:29 pm Permalink

Um…Yummm!! These look light and lovely and delicious! And I’ll definitely have to watch that movie–sounds like my kind of flick. Thanks for sharing.

• Jen 14 February 2012 6:19 pm Permalink

I hope you like the movie AND the cupcakes, Pennie!

15. Liam @ "Is butter a carb?" 14 February 2012 5:18 am Permalink

These look fabulous! Great post ;)

• Jen 14 February 2012 6:19 pm Permalink

Well, thank you Liam!

Is there still any leftover Greek food? ;)

16. shannon 14 February 2012 9:15 am Permalink

boston cream pie is such a weakness for me! I’ve seen the cupcake version before, but i really like the way yours work…no mess with the pastry cream, which is nice. Very pretty, thanks for sharing them! Have a great valentine’s day. :)

• Jen 14 February 2012 6:20 pm Permalink

Happy Valentine’s Day, Shannon!

P.S.~ I have fruity pebbles!

17. RavieNomNoms 14 February 2012 11:10 am Permalink

My boyfriend would be ALL over these…he loves Boston cream pie things!

• Jen 14 February 2012 6:20 pm Permalink

You aren’t going to share with the bunny? ;)

18. Choc Chip Uru 14 February 2012 12:12 pm Permalink

That is a beautiful love story – and it is lovely how much you appreciate your wife :)
    And these cupcakes are definitely a way to show that – delicious, cute and creative – nice one :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

19. Jen at The Three Little Piglets 14 February 2012 1:17 pm Permalink

That sounds like an incredible story! HBO does know how to pick them! Thank goodness they had the courage to stand up and fight the system!

• Jen 14 February 2012 6:21 pm Permalink

Thank goodness there are those people who decide it’s time to make history! I hope you get the chance to watch!

20. amy @ fearless homemaker 14 February 2012 8:49 pm Permalink

ooh, these cupcakes look divine! i ate boston cream pie all the time growing up (since i grew up in boston, that was pretty common), + these look absolutely delicious. nicely done!

• Jen 15 February 2012 5:11 pm Permalink

I’m sure your Bawston Cream Pie is more authentic! But, I hope you try these too! Thanks for the compliment, Amy!

21. Brenda 22 February 2012 4:23 pm Permalink

Wonderful! I love Boston Creme Pie and cupcakes so this is a win-win for me. Thanks for sharing!